Sunday 29 November 2015

Slimming World and Christmas Markets

Bonjourno!

Seems like forever ago I was starting this blog and telling you all of the delights that were at Manchester Christmas Markets last year. How much can a year change everything?! This time last year I was so unhappy with myself, depressed because I couldn't fit into the clothes that I liked, and wondering if I even had the motivation to do anything about it. 

Fast forward to 12 months later and here I am, an amazing six stone lighter and a definite spring in my step. Last year I struggled around the markets, having to sit down every few minutes because I just couldn't hack the walking around. This year we walked for 2 hours around the Trafford Centre before coming back and spending another 3 hours in the markets! I have to admit my feet hurt after that, but there would be no way I could have managed that last year!


The picture on the right was taken in January and the one on the left is from a couple of weeks ago! Can't believe how much my face as changed!

Anyway, onto food and the markets. It's surprising how much there is on offer to eat for someone doing Slimming World - it's all about asking for what you want, rather than just accepting the whole lot, syns and all.

Because we stayed in a hotel we were offered a free breakfast, which I was sure would have nothing but very bad (but very tasty) things to eat. So I was really surprised when I saw weetabix (HEXB for 2) and fresh fruit! I also filled up on a big bowl full of beans.



In the Trafford Centre, there are so many lovely places to eat, and very tempting too. I opted for a Spudulike jacket potato with beans and low fat cottage cheese, which came to 1.5 syns for the whole thing. Much better than a burger or pizza!


If you are venturing to the markets, make sure you check the ingredients before asking for something. Always ask if anything has been cooked in oil or butter to make sure you can count syns correctly. Guessing for me always leads to gaining!

Look out for:
  • Carvery stands - they offer lean roasted meats in a giant yorkshire or a bun, ask for the meats by themselves and they will give you more, more protein will fill you for longer.
  • Hog Roast - the pork is very lean and again they will serve you a massive bowl of lean pork without any sneaky sides!
  • European food stands - offer roasted garlic potatoes and mushrooms in a garlic sauce. When  I asked, they said the mushrooms are griddled and served with creme fraise, but the amount isn't huge so count a few syns for that. They also serve boiled rice with all of their foods.
  • Bratwurst Stands - I would avoid the actual Bratwurst sausage, but most of the stands had a grilled pork or grilled steak to offer, which was just cooked over an open fire on a grill, no oil whatsoever!
You could always use your flexible syns and save up for an amazing food experience - my partner had chocolate strudel, cheese, crepes, pancakes and waffles. Crepes are not very high in syns (4 syns per crepe) but watch out for the toppings they offer!

I hope this helps anyone who is travelling to a Christmas Market between now and Christmas, I would highly recommend it!

Ciao!
x





No comments:

Post a Comment